Cardcaptor Sakura Cont. Cardcaptors vs Cardcaptor Sakura

Lunatic posted on Apr 12, 2009 at 03:54AM
This is just to continue the conversation started in the pick "Have you watched Cardcaptors?"

Please join in.
 This is just to continue the conversation started in the pick "Have u watched Cardcaptors?" Please

Cardcaptor Sakura 18 antwoorden

Click here to write a response...
een jaar geleden Lunatic said…
*And they also removed parts where Sakura admitted to being afraid or frightened - because they wanted to make Sakura a "strong female role model for girls"* - astoasis

that's not true. there are episodes in which she was afraid of ghosts. for example, episode 23 with the song card and episode with the basketball. there was even the part where touya explains why she was afraid of them. if i remember well, it's episode 6 "Seeing is believing" with the illusion card.

---
I can't remember if they edited it out...
---

*They made Tomoyo-chan a retard who can't spell* - Lunatic

Really? I remember her being the smartest student of her class. i don't remember which episode, but it's when they receive their report card, and sakura was freaking out, tomoyo was calm and she got pretty much straight A.

---
I remember that episode too, but I'm refering to the episode with the Sword card where in order to get Rika & Tomoyo-chan to Sakura's house they pretend to have a spelling test. (And by they I mean Nelvana, the dubbing company.) She can't spell broach.
Link:
link
*I mean, I'm usually not too nit-picky about voice acting* - Lunatic

I found the voices in Cardcaptors better than in Cardcaptors sakura. sorry, but i just found sakura's and tomoyo's voice a little, idk, unaturally soft and girly. also, i prefered yue's voice in cardcaptors. well, the more i watch the original, the more i get used to it, so it doesn't bother me anymore. but the worst voice is in the second movie, the sealed card. tomoyo's voice just sounded fake.

---
First of all, that is a misquote. I never said that. But since I feel the same way, I'll reply anyway. I HATE Sakura's voice in Cardcaptors. She sounds arrogant all the time. It could just me, but I hate it.

I hate it when girls are like, for example, Hinata from Naruto (shy to the extreme). But remember that they are in fourth grade. It makes sense for their voices to be soft. I agree that Tomoyo-chan's voice is too soft, but she is a singer.
*Since I'm in Canada, I didn't seen the whole hell you saw, but it was still pretty bad* - Lunatic

I'm in Canada too. In quebec, to be more precise. so, i've also watched it in french: "Sakura, chasseuse de cartes". it wasn't as bad actually. there was sakura and syaoran (lionel) moments, unlike cardcaptors. the only thing was that there wasn't any touya and yukito.

---
I actually bought Cardcaptor Sakura manga in French today. I was at the only French bookstore in Toronto because it is closing at the end of the month and bought 3-6.

^^ Score. Happiness is buying manga.

And that brings me to another thing I hate about Cardcaptors, the lack of Toya and Yukito. They have such a sweet relationship and there is nothing inappropriate (THEY NEVER EVEN KISS!), yet it is censored. I don't get it.
een jaar geleden astroasis said…
worried
They may have left in some of the parts where Sakura is afraid of ghosts, but they edited out a lot of them, too. In the original version, she's definitely a little girl with all the same fears most little girls have. Which makes her all the braver for facing her fears and doing what needs to be done :)

My main complaint with Cardcaptors is the unnecessary attitude that they gave the characters. They're all... well... jerks. Constantly egging each other on and making sarcastic comments.

Oh, and I was the one who said about not being nit-picky about voice acting. I'm usually not - and often prefer dubbed voices just because it's nice to HEAR the dialogue instead of reading it ;) But with Cardcaptors, it's really more about the missing content for me. It's as if they turned an anime into an American cartoon... and the whole reason I like anime is for the very things it has that American cartoons don't. For one thing, cute and sweet kid characters instead of smart-assed ones ;)

It probably depends a lot on who your favorite characters are, too. Tomoyo is my favorite character in the series, and I just cannot stand what they did to her in making her "Madison"... Ick :(
Again, I don't know much about Sakura's fears.

But the attitude. UGH! I know what you mean there. God, I wished Sakura would get a reality check. In the same episode as the sword (link posted above to the second part of said episode), Sakura speaks with Syaoran.

-The original: She thanks Syaoran for his help honestly.
-The American: She thanks Syaoran, but tells him she won't be needing his help again. Then goes on to insult him for not being chosen as Cardcaptor. (Because she hasn't been training her whole life, unlike some people.)

She is a completely different person in the dub.
---

And I agree with you that dubbed can be easier to watch. I found sometimes the text goes by too quickly and you have to pause it to read, which can get annoying.
---

I like the name Madison, but I don't agree with the reasons behind the name change. Americanization isn't always necessary.
---

Please. Let's not get into the difference between cartoons and anime here. I'm already doing that on youtube. (Not kidding.) Feel free to join in there.

Link: link
PS: I'm Sophtine.
een jaar geleden burgundyeyes said…
*I remember that episode too, but I'm refering to the episode with the Sword card where in order to get Rika & Tomoyo-chan to Sakura's house they pretend to have a spelling test. (And by they I mean Nelvana, the dubbing company.) She can't spell broach.* - Lunatic

I just watched that episode from your link, and it's so true! She's like, hmm, broach, b-r-o-a-w...?
that's just pathetic.

*And that brings me to another thing I hate about Cardcaptors, the lack of Toya and Yukito. They have such a sweet relationship and there is nothing inappropriate (THEY NEVER EVEN KISS!), yet it is censored. I don't get it.* - Lunatic

I know. i posted a forum topic exactly on that on the "Touya and Yukito" spot. it's true, they never kiss. and that's what i like about them. it's not a burning and flaming desire, but more like a deep love which doesn't need physical contact to express itself. they know what the other feels. they've only touched lightly, that's all.

and also about relationships that they've censored, i think that there isn't any terada and rika. as i said before, i just watched the episode with the sword captor. in the original, sakura released the illusion card commanding it to show rika the person she feels the most for, which is terada-sensei. but in cardcaptors, it's the person she fears the most!?!? why? cuz she's not good at school?

there isn't any chiharu and yamazaki. and i have no clue as to why it is so.

In my opinion, if Nelvan wanted to make the series in english so that americans can watch it, just KEEP THE ORIGINAL STORY LINE. or else, it's just taking Clamp's characters and the main plot and mixing them up to create a whole new reinvented series, which isn't half as good as the original.

(btw, when making my pick, i chose i liked it. but it's not that i love it, it was, for me, a good show when i was small. if you take the story on its own, it's not THAT bad. but when you compare it to the original, that's when you see that it's not so great.)

*I actually bought Cardcaptor Sakura manga in French today. I was at the only French bookstore in Toronto because it is closing at the end of the month and bought 3-6.

^^ Score. Happiness is buying manga.*

I hope you're enjoying yourself :)

and sorry about the misquote.
last edited een jaar geleden
*I remember that episode too, but I'm refering to the episode with the Sword card where in order to get Rika & Tomoyo-chan to Sakura's house they pretend to have a spelling test. (And by they I mean Nelvana, the dubbing company.) She can't spell broach.* - Lunatic

I just watched that episode from your link, and it's so true! She's like, hmm, broach, b-r-o-a-w...?
that's just pathetic.
---
It really is just pathetic and pointless. Not all Americans can't spell.
---

*And that brings me to another thing I hate about Cardcaptors, the lack of Toya and Yukito. They have such a sweet relationship and there is nothing inappropriate (THEY NEVER EVEN KISS!), yet it is censored. I don't get it.* - Lunatic

I know. i posted a forum topic exactly on that on the "Touya and Yukito" spot. it's true, they never kiss. and that's what i like about them. it's not a burning and flaming desire, but more like a deep love which doesn't need physical contact to express itself. they know what the other feels. they've only touched lightly, that's all.
---
I love Yukito and Toya. They're the reason I know about Tsubasa RC.
---

and also about relationships that they've censored, i think that there isn't any terada and rika. as i said before, i just watched the episode with the sword captor. in the original, sakura released the illusion card commanding it to show rika the person she feels the most for, which is terada-sensei. but in cardcaptors, it's the person she fears the most!?!? why? cuz she's not good at school?

---
Rika & Sensei is just about the only thing I understand the reasoning behind the censorship. Keep in mind that Rika is in fouth grade. Nelvana didn't want to be promoting student-teacher relationships, which actually can be considered a problem in America.

Rika and Sensei are adorable together, but it's still inappropriate since he's her teacher.
---

there isn't any chiharu and yamazaki. and i have no clue as to why it is so.

---
I'm not sure either.
---

(btw, when making my pick, i chose i liked it. but it's not that i love it, it was, for me, a good show when i was small. if you take the story on its own, it's not THAT bad. but when you compare it to the original, that's when you see that it's not so great.)

---
I have no problem with you or anyone else liking Cardcaptors. I just don't since common sense flew out the editing room window.

I didn't make that pick to prove how wrong it is to like the series.
---

*I actually bought Cardcaptor Sakura manga in French today. I was at the only French bookstore in Toronto because it is closing at the end of the month and bought 3-6.

^^ Score. Happiness is buying manga.*

I hope you're enjoying yourself :)

---
Oh I am.
---

and sorry about the misquote.

---
No worries, it happens.
---
*Rika & Sensei is just about the only thing I understand the reasoning behind the censorship. Keep in mind that Rika is in fouth grade. Nelvana didn't want to be promoting student-teacher relationships, which actually can be considered a problem in America.

Rika and Sensei are adorable together, but it's still inappropriate since he's her teacher.* - Lunatic

You're right. it is kinda unsettling for a fourth year grader to love her teacher. or, even weirder, the other way around. i actually made a pick and added a comment about it.

link

but if Nelvana didn't want to promote student-teacher relationships, why is there still fujitaka and nadeshiko?

link

well, probably because it would have been too much to cut.

*I love Yukito and Toya. They're the reason I know about Tsubasa RC.* - Lunatic

I'm glad you joined the touya and yukito spot!
last edited een jaar geleden
smile
*I'm actually writing an essay on this topic for my English class.* - Lunatic

How's it going? well, i hope. Is this discussion helping you in any way? Hope you get a good mark.
Well, Nadeshiko was older than Rika, so it isn't completely pedophilia.

And just so you know, I have nothing against Rika & Sensei. But the idea in general has some issues.

Yukito and Toya are so adorable. They are in my top ten couples. ^^
*I'm actually writing an essay on this topic for my English class.* - Lunatic

How's it going? well, i hope. Is this discussion helping you in any way? Hope you get a good mark.

---
Thank you!
Well it's an ISP (independent study project), which is a formal essay on any topic. I chose censorship. I still don't have a thesis statement, but I'll figure it out eventually. The paper is due in two months.

The reason why I chose censorship is really because of Cardcaptors. (Which is why I have so many arguments. I've been researching it since March.) I'm interested in the cultural differences between America and Japan which translated into certain things being censored while others were left.

But I won't just be talking about Cardcaptors, I plan to talk about others as well such as YuGiOh and Sailor Moon. (I have a list, actually.)
hmmm
*It seems that all 70 episodes were dubbed. They have been and are airing in England and Canada in the correct CCS order. The focus of this website is the American-aired CC episodes. That means fewer dubbed episodes, aired in the wrong order, and more comments about stupidity in marketing, lack of storyline and characterization, and "what the hell were they thinking" editing.*

That was on the site Astroasis posted.
I had no idea that the show aired in Canada is different from the one in the U.S. It's sounds pretty bad. much worst than what i've seen.
*I'm interested in the cultural differences between America and Japan which translated into certain things being censored while others were left.* - Lunatic

it's true. it is very interesting, come to think of it. so, you're probably learning a lot by doing your essay :)
Yeah. They got it really bad in the US.

Not only am I learning a lot, but I'm having fun doing it. I've watched a lot of anime in the process and I can easily claim it's for research purposes. ^^
But, unfortunately, I won't all be fun, since I'm going to have to watch bad dubs. I plan on tackling Cardcaptors eventually, but I keep putting it off. *sigh*
I really don't want to watch it, since I fear my eyes will bleed.
which cardcaptors will you be watching? probably the US version, cuz it's worst? well, if you are, good luck, i hope it won't traumatize you for life :D kidding.
it's too bad i don't have any projects like that at my school. (I'm doing one on paper recyling. oh the joy!)
For English at my school, we do an ISP every year. (I'm in high school.)

As for which version I'll watch, it depends on what I can find on my dear internet. I know it's on youtube, though.
een jaar geleden petlover2009 said…
OH thes explains the diffrence between Cardcaptors and Card Captor Sakura...since i understand both spanish and english perfectly (thanks to living in mexico across the border of the USA and studying all my life in the USA) I saw CCS in spanish (let me tell you Mexico is not that big on censorship) they just translated Japanese to Spanish (no censorship @all!) and i loved the series...i just started watching it in english...it totally sucks!
I wish I could watch it in Spanish, but I'm not fluent enough yet. (One day, maybe.)

I could talk all day about the differences between Cardcaptors and Cardcaptor Sakura. They really are very different.

And while I'm against judging different things, I'd go so far as to say Cardcaptor Sakura is better just because of Cardcaptors blatant use of censorship to the point of homophobia. It's f-ing ridiculous and an insult to Canadian culture (it was dubbed in Canada). While it might have been nine years ago that the dub was made, homosexual marriage was legalized in Canada in 2004, only four years later.

I'm going to stop the rant here.
I'm glad you were interested enough to look at my links. :)