Documentaries Documentaries to See

cressida posted on May 02, 2007 at 07:02AM
I'm a huge fan of documentaries but it's so hard to find recommendations of good ones besides the ones that EVERYONE know [March of the Penguins, Supersize Me, etc]. Here are 5 docs that I recommend:

1. Hell House (2001): about an annual Christian Haunted House featuring rooms of "sin".

2. The Heart of the Game (2005): about a girl high school baskbetball team overcoming incredible obstacles just to play. (Boring description failing to capture how fantastic the doc is).

3. Pick Up the Mic (2005): doc on queer hip hop.

4. Spellbound (2002): the doc to watch if you're not much into docs. About...the National Spelling Bee?! Trust me, it's both interesting and funny.

5. Double Dare (2004): A doc on women stunt doubles, focusing particularly on Jeannie Epper (stuntperson for Wonder Woman) and Zoe Bell (stuntperson for Xena). Jeannie Epper JUST (May 2007) became the first woman to claim a lifetime achievement award for stunt doubles. "Double Dare" even features a cameo by Mr. Quentin Tarantino.

Documentaries 5 antwoorden

Click here to write a response...
een jaar geleden smezweiner said…
Thanks for the recs
I love "To be and to have" (or Etre et Avoir), about a school teacher in rural France.
een jaar geleden lindseyiscool said…
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! OK, HELL HOUSE WAS SOOO GOOD!! ITS LIKE MY FAVORITE! Anybody reading this- rent it now!!!
een jaar geleden cressida said…
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It's been a few years since watching it but should again soon.

Has anyone seen My Kid Could Paint That (2007)? It's currently in theaters and REALLY looks interesting but I haven't gotten around to the local artsy theater recently. Any analysis of it anyone can offer?
een jaar geleden cressida said…
JUST watched Wordplay (2006) (finished no more than 10 minutes ago) and it's a really fun documentary along the lines of Spellbound (2002) but about crossword puzzles. Crossword puzzle maker extraordinare Will Shortz is featured, and outside interviews include Jon Stewart, Bill Clinton, the Indigo Girls, and more.
een jaar geleden the-pixie said…
I would like to add Jesus Camp. The relgious right seem even more crazy now.