New York Mtv In Brooklyn?

bealoser posted on Feb 20, 2007 at 03:41AM
I've been reading many a blog and many bloggers have been disputing the use of Tech as the basis for all judgment on Brooklyn teens. I went to Midwood myself so I'm a little put off when they say that Tech is the best representative of the demographic in Brooklyn. I mean, it's a specialized high school so already that's cutting off a large population of the "regular" kids, or the "zoned" kids. What, these students who didn't take a test to get into high school aren't a good representation of an "urban" teen?
At the same time, Tech may a better place to FILM. I mean, I'm thinking of Midwood and there was hardly any room for us students to move from one class to another - I can't imagine fitting a film crew in there.
But still.. I'm just waiting for MTV to totally screw this up and royally misrepresent Brooklyn - which, face it, is bound to happen every time life is subjected to film. But I would really hate that.

What do you guys think about this?

New York 10 antwoorden

Click here to write a response...
een jaar geleden dave said…
Totally agree bealoser, I read about the new "Laguna Beach" being filmed at Brooklyn Tech and that school is 49% Asian which is hardly representative of the average public school in New York since it's a magnet school. I have a feeling that the core cast won't necessarily even represent the school because I'm betting the kids they follow won't be all that diverse, especially after seeing Laguna Beach. That being said, Laguna Beach was hardly the average sample of a school in Southern California (which is far more diverse than that).
een jaar geleden bealoser said…
Yeah, it's not a fair representation at all but even if they chose another high school with a more diverse demo, they're still only going to follow a specific group of people in search of the new Kristen Cavalleri, you know?
I feel like I'm bracing myself to defend the national opinion of Brooklynites. Ha. Because MTV is such a reliable source of cultural information as it is. Le sigh.
I actually can't wait for this to air. My friend and I are going to throw viewing parties with a different "New York" food every week. Knishes, chicken sandwiches with mysterious sauces from carts, lox bagels, etc etc.
Wow, I'm so envious! I miss good New York eats out here in San Francisco. Mmm...a good knish, awesome lox, great dogs, and those oh so good mysterious sauces from carts. :)
Hot dogs! Suddenly I'm craving Nathan's dogs and cheese fries. *drool*
You know what my West Coast friends recently told me? That pizzerias basically don't exist outside of New York (slash tri-state area)? Like, my friend from San Diego would not be able to buy herself a slice of pizza. They just don't sell them that way. BLOWS MY MIND!

Man this post has gone way OT. Oops.
Haha. Pizza! I can honestly say that the pizza on the west coast is WEAK. I don't know how bad it is in San Diego, but I imagine that it's even worse than it is here in San Francisco, because there are actually New York transplants here. After 7 years of living in San Francisco, I've finally found a "decent" slice of New York style pizza! The kind you can fold and eat way you're supposed to eat pizza! It's a place called Arinell's in the Mission District and the owner is from Brooklyn. I get my fix every so often. :) But I still miss my New York slices.
een jaar geleden Ambitiouz said…
The show's cast is interesting trust me.
how do you know? have they started filming already? do you go to tech?

i really don't intend to hate on Tech and i'm sorry if it comes out that. i just *hate* it how television, especially mtv, especially so-called reality shows spin their own angles to make stories more interesting and to suck in more viewers. i don't dispute that tech is located in a better area of brooklyn nor am i saying that i don't think tech is a good representative of brooklyn's population, but i think it's unfair to call it the best.
For starters techs population is no where near 49% asian, it's about one third. Tech really isn't the best so to speak but it shows the people in brooklyn who are trying to get out, the people who for the most part have been exposed to some things they shouldn't have been exposed to especially for their age. As far as your questions go I'd love to answer them but there are some legal matters involved.
een jaar geleden hiro said…
Are you on the show?
And this is when I sign off. See ya folks.