Ryan Kelly Donations instead of Gifts

DianaPrince posted on Jun 21, 2012 at 04:46PM
I posted this on the Celtic Thunder forum earlier in the week and I'm sharing this here so more people can see it. Sharon has requested that we not send gifts to Ireland. The hosptial is unable to accept any gifts due to their own policies and the shipping of gifts to Ireland is starting to become very pricey for the lads. They now have to pay a customs fee on every gift mailed and if that fee is not paid (because they're on tour or something) then the gift is returned to the sender. And giving gifts on the road can add up a lot in luggage fees when it's time for them to go home. I'd love to see a move toward no physical gifts but I know that won't happen.

So, I have put together a list of various charities. Personally, I feel that giving to a charity in someone's name is much nicer than a physical gift. You're helpling someone else and I know all of the lads would appreciate that. And, most charities will send a card to the person to let them know. And if they don't you can make one yourself.

I'd like to see this become a "Thunderhead Community" thing so if you feel I've left out a charity or there's one you'd like to add please do so. I'd love to see the list grow and let people pick and choose as they wish.

1. link
This is the sports club in the Moy that Ryan played for in his youth and continues to support.

Tír na nÓg is Ryan Kelly's charity of choice. This is the one that him, his family, and his friends care the most about. If you are planning on giving please make this one your first choice. The others are here if you want to choose a second one. If you give please post in this thread so we know.

2. link
With Ryan's love of NYC and since St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland I felt this one was an obvious choice. You can light a "virtual" candle and any money you donate goes to the church.

3. link
I chose this one because it's close to me due to a spinal injury I suffered in my teens but because of Christopher Reeve's close ties to the theatre and Ryan's love of theatre. If you choose this option you will be asked where you want your funds sent. I chose link because they had their last event the same night as Ryan & Neil's last Yonker's concert. The foundation also has a link if you have a birthday or something coming up and think someone would like something. I'm planning on getting one of the polos for my brother.

4. link
This is a charity that was suggested by Sharon herself and I thank her from the bottom of my heart for reaching out and helping us out.

5. link
Celtic Thunder's African Charity is always a good option.

6. link
This is another one I chose due to Ryan's theatrical background. They also have a link to check out. I'm kinda in love with the sheep that sings "the Lonely Goatherd" from Sound of Music. I wish I had a kid to buy it for ;)

7. link
For those of you who don't know "Gracie" is Ina Greenglass from Travel Concepts which is the travel agency Phil Coulter's Tranquility Cruise runs though. Some of our fellow cruisers have run into some hard times and are seeking help.

8. link
An "adopt a soldier" program with other ways to help out.

9. link
"The Children's Rare Disease Network is committed to developing an online community, programs, and resources that will provide a platform for communication and outreach across the entire spectrum of rare disease charities and related organizations."

10. link
"GOAL is an international humanitarian agency dedicated to alleviating the suffering of the poorest of the poor. We are a non-denominational, non-governmental and non-political organisation."

11. link
"Headway provides support and services to people affected by brain injury. Founded in 1985, we also work to heighten public and political awareness of acquired brain injury and the impact it has on individuals, families and carers"

12. link
"Camphill Communities of Ireland is part of an international charitable trust working with people with intellectual disabilities and other kinds of special needs."

13. link
"GCNYC has offered a place where men, women and children living with cancer – and their families and friends – can join together to build social and emotional support as a supplement to medical care."

14. link
Smile Train - "Every year, thousands of children in developing countries are born with disfiguring clefts"

15. link
Know someone who recently had a baby? Looking for something for your own little ones? "Over the Moon" is a 2-CD set and a book of lullabys and artwork by many of Broadway's brightest stars and designers. Proceeds go to (16) link, (17) link, & (18) link.

19. link
We can never forget the Red Cross and the fact that they're always there when they're needed.

20. link
Many etsy shop owners donate money made from sales to various charities. Another good option if you have a gift-giving event coming up.

21. link
"a neutral and impartial humanitarian organization that aims first and foremost to provide high-quality medical care to the people who need it the most. It does not promote the agenda of any country, political party, or religious faith, and, as such, endeavors to communicate its history, background, and capabilities to all parties in a given situation so that it may gain the necessary access to populations in need."

22. link
"For 50 years, WWF has been protecting the future of nature. The world’s leading conservation organization, WWF works in 100 countries and is supported by 1.2 million members in the United States and close to 5 million globally. WWF's unique way of working combines global reach with a foundation in science, involves action at every level from local to global, and ensures the delivery of innovative solutions that meet the needs of both people and nature."

23. link
"Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation is the living embodiment of Alex’s spirit of determination and hope. Like Alex, we believe that every person can make a difference. Together, we can bring about a cure. Please join us in “making lemonade” today!"

24. link
An organization that grants wishes to terminally ill seniors.

25. link
One of the most preventable forms of cancer yet can be one of the most deadly if not caught/treated. Those of is with the "Irish" skin need to stay on top of things and get a "mole check" once a year by a dermatologist.

26. link
Far too many animals are neglected & abused and need caring people to help and watch out for them.

27. link
"When you contribute to the National Endowment for the Arts, you sustain a long tradition of support for the arts and arts organizations across America. And your donation is fully tax deductible."

28. link
"Through generous, widespread public support and a collaborative team of exceptional staff and volunteers, we aspire to become the provider of choice for emergency financial and other assistance to the families of our service members and wounded warriors. Where there is a need we do not provide, we will partner with others for the benefit of our military families. "

29. link
"Our national campaign and local programs, prevention initiatives and events help spread the word in your community, creating awareness that prevention is possible. We are a family of friends, professionals, volunteers, donors and parents who are preventing child abuse and neglect before it ever starts."

30. link
"The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, (NCMEC), is a private, (501)(c)(3) nonprofit organization which was created in 1984. The mission of the organization is to serve as the nation’s resource on the issues of missing and sexually exploited children. The organization provides information and resources to law enforcement, parents, children including child victims as well as other professionals."

31. link
"Survivors In Action, Inc. is a national advocacy group urging oversight of crime victim resources to ensure no victim is left behind. We are dedicated to improving response efforts for crime victims as they navigate through the process of finding assistance."

32. link
"NFL Charities is a non-profit organization created by the 32 member clubs of the National Football League to enable the teams to collectively make grants to charitable and worthwhile causes on a national scale. Since its inception, NFL Charities has granted more than $140 million to more than 1,400 different organizations. "

33. link
"The mission of the Boston Celtics Shamrock Foundation is to extend the reach of the Celtics championship legacy into our community. The Shamrock Foundation benefits our children directly, through programs that provide education & support. The Shamrock Foundation also partners with community based organizations that provide healthcare, shelter & vital services for children in need."

34. link
An organization that grants wishes for needy children. With this group you are able to grant a wish in someone else's honor. Always a nice option for Ryan or one of the other lads.

35. link
"Our focus is to both assist and raise awareness for those living with severe physical disabilities such as Cerebral Palsy and Muscular Dystrophy. It will forever be our duty to help others see more than just a "chair" or a disability, but to see an individual who has a lot to offer. We believe that anything is possible, and we will never give up on those who need our help most. We live by a simple motto: As long as you have a pulse, you must never give up, you must always...Keep On Keeping On!"

36. link
"The VH1 Save The Music Foundation was founded in 1997 as a public affairs initiative of the VH1 network. The Foundation’s core mission is to restore instrumental music education programs, ensuring that every child has access to a complete education that includes the benefits of music instruction. Since its inception, The Foundation has remained faithful to and focused on making our mission come to life."

37. link
"Established in 1985, The ALS Association is the only national non-profit organization fighting Lou Gehrig’s Disease on every front. By leading the way in global research, providing assistance for people with ALS through a nationwide network of chapters, coordinating multidisciplinary care through certified clinical care centers, and fostering government partnerships, The Association builds hope and enhances quality of life while aggressively searching for new treatments and a cure."

38. link
"We prepare and motivate children to read by delivering free books and literacy resources to those children and families who need them most. We inspire children to be lifelong readers through the power of choice. RIF provides new, free books for children to choose from and make their own. The seeds of inspiration in these books have motivated children to follow their dreams and achieve their potential. Yes, it seems incredible for a book to launch a life, but it happens every day as hungry, inquisitive young minds reach out and grab hold of the new people, places, and ideas that books bring them."

39. link
"The Make-A-Wish Foundation was founded in 1980 after a little boy named Chris Greicius realized his heartfelt wish to become a police officer. Since its humble beginnings, the organization has blossomed into a worldwide phenomenon, reaching more than 250,000 children around the world."

40. link
"Many families travel far from home to get treatment for their seriously ill or injured children. Often, it can be a long time to be away from home, or to divide a family. And, for children facing a serious medical crisis, nothing seems scarier than not having their mom and dad close by for love and support."

41. link
"The mission of The Andi Foundation is to allow young women to fulfill dreams they never thought possible by following Andi’s example of drive, determination, hard work and passion."

last edited on Jul 16, 2012 at 03:49PM

Ryan Kelly 10 antwoorden

Click here to write a response...
een jaar geleden DianaPrince said…
I'd like to thank Sharon Keating for donating to both Concern and the GAC club!
een jaar geleden barbarasimmons said…
How about sending a donation to Ryan to help defray the cost of his medical care? I don't have any idea how well insurance pays in Ireland, but if it is anything like the United States, he will still owe a lot even after the insurance does pay.

The thought is nice but I suspect that might be going into murky "privacy" terrority. I'm also not sure if he would accept it being a prideful man and all. I could take the idea to his assistant and see what she thinks though. I don't think she'll say yes but I will ask.
een jaar geleden barbarasimmons said…
Thank you, Diana. I know his many fans would love to contribute to this wonderful man.
Okay! Updated thread! No donations are needed for his medical bills. So please put your money to better use by helping someone else.

Thanks!
een jaar geleden MrBadPaw said…
heart
Donation being sent to Tír na nÓg G.A.C
Thank you! Please share the thread! :)
Look at all those shares! You guys rock! Tír na nÓg is Ryan's first choice as far as donations go but the others are here to be considered if you wish to give to more than one or are looking to donate again down the line. And please don't use this only for Ryan - I feel any of the lads would be pleased to know that others are being helped in their names. Paul just got engaged, we have a new member of the "family - why not celebrate that with these sort of "gifts" instead? The stores that some of the charities have are great if you have a gift-giving event coming up.

But please note - every charity listed is real and there is no financial gain for me in any way. I get nothing out of this except for the knowledge that others are being helped.
People are starting to get "thank you" notes from the charities. Glad so many people are being helped!
How about trying to get this off the ground again? People always need help