Alice's past, Alice POV
1913, October 14
- Mary Alice, where are are you? Come here, young lady!- my mother's voice interrupted my thoughts. I was daydreaming about tomorrow, about one of the most happiest days of my life. That gorgeous dress and the jewelery will look simply perfect...
- Mary Alice, I am not going to shout anymore, if u would not come here...
- I'm coming, mom! - I was already at the the door. My intuitinion told me that if I wouldn't come downstairs, I would have problems. And one thing I truly learned during 12 years of my life was to trust my intuition. My intuition was the reason why tomorrow I will attend one of the most fanciest balls in Biloxi. I, only 12 years old girl from middle class, was asked to Rowenson's Mansion door their son - lovely 14 jaar old boy, named Arthur. I had pretty much attention these days from boys, people keep telling me that I have something that atracts people to me.
Suddenly I felt my my hart-, hart racing. It is stupid to think that something wrong could happen - I have everything : great family, a lot of friends, great future. I'm probably overexcited about tommorow.
- Here u are, Mary! I've waited for u ages, look what a beautiful scarf I brought to you... - and I let my mind drift into fantasizing about the ball...
1913, October 15
- And here is my lovely companion, miss Mary Alice Brandon,- I shook a hand to arrogant old lady whose name I've already forgot. Arthur acted like a prince charming, he presented me to everyone with such happiness that I could hardly understood him but that me feel great. Despise the fact that actually I felt horrible. My hart-, hart was bumping so loudly, my stomach was clenched and I couldn't stop waiting for something terrible to happen. I never felt so terrible in my life.
- Mary, would u like a glass of champagne? - Arthur winked me.
- Yes, thank you,- I would be glad to stay away from him for a minute. I didn't want him to notice my panic.
- Just a second,- and he bowed. I couldn't help a smile. When he dived into crowd I headed towards balcony. I needed fresh air. And then something strange happened - my vision become blurred, but still I could see a couple arguing in the balcony, the man started shouting how much he hates the woman, he called her Josephine, and then he pulled out a mes from a pocket.
- I will end your pathetic existence, Josephine. No meer lies, no meer pain, no more...YOU.,- he stabbed her. I could see blood pouring from a wound, I could see her terrified face and then I started screaming.
- Mary, Mary, what's happened?- I needed few seconden to realize that the horrible scene was gone. I was standing in the place Arthur had left me and I could see empty balcony from there.
- Mary, are u all right? - Arthur's face looked pale and worried. I noticed that everyone was staring at me.
- I, I'm sorry...,- I turned my head from a crowd and froze in shock. Few steps away woman was standing. The same women I saw killed 10 seconden ago. But there was a difference- she was completely intacted and instead of fear there was surprise on he face. She was looking at me like everyone else in the room. She was waiting for an explanation. And the only explanation I can think of right now isn't good. I went crazy.
1913, November 23
I couldn't believe it. After long maand of trying to calm myself that I probably fell asleep during a ball and had nightmare, after a long attempt to convince everyone that I'm completely fine and pretend like nothing had happened... I look at the newspaper again. Yes, the artikel was still there, on the front page. "English Lord killed his American wife". And the picture with pretty wcouple - Josephine and William Gray - the same couple I saw during the ball. And the worst thing of all, that the journalist claimed that the poor woman was stabbed in the balcony.
I wanted to scream. Somehow I knew that my good intuition lead me to this - what happened wasn't a nightmare. It was a vision.
1915, March 09
Today I heard it again. The same story between old ladies in the shop, how unlucky my parents are. Whole Biloxi stoped knowing me as a very pretty girl of talented musician, now everyone thought that Mary Alice Brandon was young insane girl, who lived in the end of the Oak straat and rarely came out of it. A few people who had been witnesses of my vision and later saw them becoming true, knew me as a psychic of even a witch.
After the news about my mental condition spread, eventually I lost almost everything I had. Only later I realized that it wasn't the worst possible situation.
I have only two vrienden now. Rebeca Collins and Arthur Rowenson still come to me sometimes. They always act very nicely and sincerely try to help me but I know that they don't believe that my visions are real though I should thank them for trying to pretend they do.
vrienden are not the only loss. Another one is Cynthia- she always adored me, always wanted to be like me... Now she simply ignores me and tries to avoid me as much as possible. I can't blame her, she only wants a normal life without the rumors about crazy sister.
I guess at least I should be happy about my parents, especially my mother. They try so hard to support, and meer important they believe me.
1915, April 19
Today I understood one very important thing. of actually I admitted one important thing - I have a feelings about Arthur. He was here yesterday, brought me my favoriete flowers and we talked all day. He always so nice and so... Normal. He's always acts with me like everything would be normal and I guess that's why I started loving him. I kept looking at his gorgeous green eyes that I almost missed the fact that soon he will be leaving Biloxi and going to New York. He helped his father to establish new business, something about the cars, so his father decided to award him and gave him the business as a gift. After two weeks he will sign a contract that will create many working places here. Though I spend most of my time indoors I still can feel the thrill of the city. Everybody keep whispering how smart Arthur is. And for the first time since I was 12 I have to agree with them.
1915, June 02
- Mary, I can't believe your acting like this. Now, at one of the most important days... - Arthur looked angry
- Please, listen to me, Arthur,- I sobbed and begged at the same time,- Please, I know u never believed in my visions, but trust me, something terrible is going to happen, if...
- Stop. I had enough. I can't let down so many people just because u had a nightmare. I'm going to New York and we can have a talk after I will return. Goodbye, Mary. I hope you'll be better later,- and he turned around.
- Wait, no, they will kill you!,- but my mom's arms stoped me from following him. I could he people saying terrible things about me:
- She's insane, why her parents haven't locked her?
- It's obvious, that she is jealous..
- If he won't sign that papers, whole city would have a loss, how her parents can't understand that?
But I couldn't listen to them long cause I had another vision. of it would be better to say the same one I had 20 minuten geleden when Arthur hugged me to say goodbye. I saw him lying on floor. I saw him dead. Killed. And I couldn't hold my self, I fell down on my knees and start crying loudly. How he could not believe me?
- Shh...Mary, calm down, maybe your wrong and everything would be all right,- I looked at my mother's face. She was holding me, trying to soothe me but also there was concern in her eyes and that made feel even worse. After a few minuten the vision returned and I lost consciousness.
1915, June 05
Arthur and my mom was wrong. And Arthur was dead. I was lying on my bed when I heard the doorbell. I had another feeling that something bad is happening, but I wasn't quite sure whether it was something new of the same feeling that I am falling apart cause I lost someone I love. I tries to slikken my tears, tried not to think about his green eyes when a rough voice interrupted my attempts. Suddenly, I could hear my mother shouting:
- No, u can't! She's only a child, how can u do that? No, stop!
I could feel my anxiety growing, so I started going downstairs until I noticed two policemen.
- Mary, go into your room! - my mother was crying, but I could see anger in her eyes. I can't remember having her an expression like this ever.
- No,- one policemen said. - Are u Mary Alice Brandon?
- Yes,- I could feel my voice trembling. Cynthia came from her room. She looked scared.
- Were u two days geleden at the train station with Arthur Rowenson? - his voice was calm, but I could feel something hidden under his tone.
- Yes,- I felt a disaster coming to me.
- Did u tell Mister Rowenson that he will be killed?- now I knew the direction the disaster was coming from, but I'm not running from it. I would face what is waiting for me.
- Mary Alice Brandon, u under arrest for participation in Arthur's Rowenson's murder.
Not the end