Christmas films Christmas Movie Reviews

DarkSarcasm posted on Nov 24, 2019 at 01:19AM
I'm on the hunt for a new Christmas classic.

I watch the same handful of movies every year, and they're great - hence the rewatching - but the most recent movie in my must-watch list came out in the year 2004. Don't get me wrong, there have been some decent ones released since then, but nothing I have deemed necessary Christmas-time viewing.

So before I dive back into the essentials that have stood the test of time, I've decided to try some of the ones available through various streaming services. I'm gonna watch and review some of these Christmas movies so you don't have to - and have a list for myself because honestly, most of them will just blend together in my brain and I don't want to accidentally watch one of these suckers twice.

If anyone would like to leave reviews of their own, please do!

~🎅~🤶~🌲~🦌~🍪~🥛~🎁~⛪~🌟~❄️~🔔~⛄~🧸~✡️~🍬~🎄~⭐~

Here's a review template:
Movie:
IMDb Summary:
Stars:
Available on:
Rating: (Preferably out of 5 for simplicity's sake.)
last edited on Nov 29, 2019 at 02:42PM

Christmas films 13 antwoorden

Click here to write a response...
een jaar geleden DarkSarcasm said…
Movie: Christmas Twister (2012)
IMDb Summary: On Christmas Day the Texas area to the South West of Forth Worth is struck by a massive storm system sprouting several severe tornadoes.
Stars: Casper Van Dien, Richard Burgi, Victoria Pratt, Haley Lu Richardson
Available on: tubi
Rating: 🌪️

I knew Christmas Twister was going to suck, but I needed some Christmas-y background noise. Fell asleep. Did not care.
last edited een jaar geleden
Movie: A Blue Ridge Mountain Christmas (2019)
IMDb Summary: Hotel manager Willow returns to her stunning Virginia hometown to help her sister plan a Christmas wedding at the inn her family once owned. She must work with current owner and single dad David, who wants to let go of the past.
Stars: Rachael Leigh Cook, Benjamin Ayres, Christie Burke
Available on: Hallmark
Rating: 🎄🎄

I hate cheesy romance movies but I love Rachael Leigh Cook. You know how it goes. Not the most terrible thing I've ever watched, but probably not something I'd watch again.
Movie: A Dog Named Christmas (2009)
IMDb Summary: A developmentally challenged young man with a penchant for caring for animals in need sets out to convince his family - and their whole rural community - to participate in a local shelter's inaugural "Adopt a Dog for Christmas Program."
Stars: Noel Fisher, Bruce Greenwood, Linda Emond
Available on: Hallmark
Rating: 🐕🐕🐕

I was surfing and saw Noel Fisher's face. It was a cute movie. Fisher did a fantastic job. Probably would've been more enjoyable without the 5-minute commercial breaks that made it last 4 hours.
Movie: All American Christmas Carol (2013)
IMDb Summary: A white-trash mom is visited by three ghosts intent on showing her a path to a brighter future.
Stars: Taryn Manning, Beverly D'Angelo, Wendi McLendon-Covey
Available on: Vudu, Tubi
Rating: 👻

Props to this background noise for not even tempting me to get distracted from my main project. XD
Movie: Daddy's Home 2 (2017)
IMDb Summary: Having finally gotten used to each other's existence, Brad and Dusty must now deal with their intrusive fathers during the holidays.
Stars: Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg, Mel Gibson, John Lithgow
Available on: Hulu
Rating: 🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲

I've seen this before, but wanted to counteract some of today's garbage with something I knew was good. XD
Movie: Noel (2004)
IMDb Summary: Five New Yorkers come together on Christmas Eve, seeking a miracle.
Stars: Susan Sarandon, Penélope Cruz, Paul Walker, Robin Williams
Rating: 🍪🍪

It was okay. Kinda surprised I hadn't seen it before.
Movie: Black Christmas (1974)
IMDb Summary: During their Christmas break, a group of sorority girls are stalked by a stranger.
Stars: Olivia Hussey, Keir Dullea, Margot Kidder
Rating: 🔪

Didn't like it, but still want to see the remakes.
Movie: Better Watch Out (2016)
IMDb Summary: On a quiet suburban street, a babysitter must defend a twelve-year-old boy from intruders, only to discover it's far from a normal home invasion.
Stars: Olivia DeJonge, Levi Miller, Ed Oxenbould
Available on: hoopla
Rating: 🚨🚨🚨🚨

I've seen this before, but it's one of those where once you figure out what's going on, it needs a second watch so you can see everything fall into place.
Movie: Anna and the Apocalypse (2017)
IMDb Summary: A zombie apocalypse threatens the sleepy town of Little Haven - at Christmas - forcing Anna and her friends to fight, slash and sing their way to survival, facing the undead in a desperate race to reach their loved ones. But they soon discover that no one is safe in this new world, and with civilization falling apart around them, the only people they can truly rely on are each other.
Stars: Ella Hunt, Malcolm Cumming, Sarah Swire
Available on: Hulu
Rating: 🍬🍬

The trailers looked so awesome, but it ended up being much more of a musical than I signed up for.
Movie: Miracle on 34th Street (1994)
IMDb Summary: A lawyer and a little girl must prove that a man claiming to be Santa Claus is the real thing.
Stars: Richard Attenborough, Mara Wilson, Elizabeth Perkins, Dylan McDermott
Available on: IDK, I have the DVD.
Rating: 🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅

Miracle on 34th Street typically marks the official opening of Christmas Movie Season, since it starts on Thanksgiving. Usually wait to watch it on Thanksgiving (after about 4 minutes of staring in horror at the TV parade), but I gotta go places and do things, so it got bumped a day.
Movie: Surviving Christmas (2004)
IMDb Summary: A lonely, obnoxious young millionaire pays a family to spend Christmas with him.
Stars: Ben Affleck, Christina Applegate, James Gandolfini, Catherine O'Hara
Watched on: DVD
Rating: 🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

Congrats, Surviving Christmas, you have been officially upgraded to Favorite Christmas Movie #3.
Movie: The Hebrew Hammer (2003)
IMDb Summary: An orthodox Jewish blaxploitation hero saves Hanukkah from the clutches of Santa Claus' evil son.
Stars: Adam Goldberg, Andy Dick, Judy Greer
Watched on: DVD
Rating: ✡️✡️✡️✡️

It's more of a Hanukkah movie but Santa is a character and I keep it with my Christmas DVDs so I'm making note of it anyway. =P
Movie: The Borrowed Christmas (2014)
IMDb Summary: John Dale has everything. Money, notoriety, the biggest house in town. But what he really wants, is a good, old fashion Christmas. With no family in town, John turns to the local "Rent-All" store and Anne Weston. Anne's store is struggling, and in an attempt to save the shop, she takes on this unusual order, from this unusual man. She goes about trying to fill the order, but ends up filling a need much greater.
Stars: Sherry Morris, Jeff Rose, Craig Bryant Belwood
Available on: Tubi
Rating: 🎁🎁1/2

I liked the story idea, but the execution was off. It was predictable and the acting was sometimes painful to watch... but overall, it wasn't a terrible movie. I like that it wasted no time getting started, but it did lag a bit after a while. And it did elicit a reaction other than "would you all just DIE ALREADY" so it had that going for it. =P
 [b]Movie:[/b] The Borrowed Christmas (2014) [b]IMDb Summary:[/b] John Dale has everything. Money,