Debate Impromptu Beauty Pageant vraag challenge

omg_stop posted on Mar 22, 2012 at 05:11PM
A lot of people have been saying that beauty pageants objectify women because they don't need to be smart or anything, just pretty, but I want to give you some samples of the questions they have to answer, and see YOU guys answer them, to show you just what the contestants need to have as common knowledge.

Here are the rules:
1. No citing sources. We're trying to reenact it as if you're on stage, and when you're on stage, you can't go online and give links.

2. No debating with people. If you want to discuss an answer someone gives, make a separate forum or pick or question about it. This isn't the place for it.

3. You're answering these questions as if you're in an actual pageant, which means you have to present your knowledge in the right way. that means
*No slang
*No cursing
*Give reasons and an explanation for your answer. Don't just give a one sentence answer. It should read like a short paragraph.
*Be positive
*Try not to offend people
*End your answer with a solid statement. don't let people be unsure what your stance is. The best way to do that is to firmly state your position in the last sentence.

4. Don't research. Pageant contestants don't get to research their questions before they answer. I can't make you not research, so I'll just have to trust you. If you cheat and research anyways, just think about how the pageant contestants are doing something much harder than you did because they answered without researching.

5. Answer as many questions as you want, but put the right number in front of your answer so we know what you're answering.

Things to keep in mind
1. Beauty pageant contestants are on a stage. It's sort of like a live debate, except that you only get to speak once, an nobody gets to respond to you, so you don't know what other people think of your answer.

2. You don't know the question beforehand. You only have a couple seconds to figure out and form a good answer. You don't get to do any research at all.

3. The contestant's questions are pulled out of a hat, so they don't get to choose what question they answer, like you do.

4. The contestants have the added pressure of standing in front of a large audience on a stage, under bright lights, with everyone staring at them, on television, talking into a microphone.
You are probably sitting in a chair wearing pajamas with your hair kind of messed up with nobody looking at you and you're not on tv or a stage.

Question sources:
link
link
link
link
link

Here are the questions

1. If ignorance is bliss, why do we seek knowledge?

2. At what point does a girl become a woman?

3. What do you think about the growing number of foreign investments in the United States?

4. Do you consider yourself to be a giver or a taker? Why?

5. Who do you feel is the most popular person in the world (the United States, your state, your community, etc.)? Why?

6. What would you like to see done to improve the public’s understanding of the importance of organ donation? Why?
7. How can we better promote volunteerism in America?

8. What do you want to do in life?

9. What would you say is the biggest problem facing our educational system today? Why?

10. What are the best qualities a parent could share with their children? Why?

11. If you showed me around your state (county, city, community, etc.), where would you take me? Why?

12. Tell me about a recent goal you accomplished.

13. What is success, according to you?

14. Tell me about recreational activities in your state (community).

15. Tell me about cultural activities in your state (community).

16. Describe yourself in three adjectives and explain why.

17. Do you think that gay marriages should be legalized everywhere?

18. What do you feel about Miss Georgia stepping down the following day after being crowned?

19. If you are given a dollar, what would you do with it?

20. Who is Nellie Tayloe Ross?

21. Which word do you not like to hear at all? Why?

22. What pageant question was your favorite?

23. When have you been very proud of yourself in your life?

24. What do you think is the most important discovery of the last century? Why?

25. What do you think about cosmetic surgery in a pageant competition? Does it give an unfair advantage to a contestant? Why?

26. According to you, what is femininity?

27. What or who motivates you, and why?

28. What are your views about the War in Iraq?

29. Which cartoon character would you like to be, and why?

30. Tell me something that will make me remember you.

31. What will you choose, family or career? Why?

32. If it was possible to take one thing along with you after death, what would it be? Why?

33. What does a woman of substance mean to you?

34. What is the biggest challenge faced by youth today?

35. Name the woman you feel is the finest pageant titleholder till now. Why?

36. What three characteristics are a must for a Miss.____?

37. If you were to be reborn, whom would you choose to be born as, Mother Teresa or Helen of Troy? Why?

38. How do beauty contests promote equality between sexes?

39. Do you think a titleholder should or should not express her religious faith in public?

40. Was Carrie Prejean's answer to the question on gay marriage responsible for her dismissal?

41. Do you think you can make an impact on society? How?

42. Is it right to hold beauty contests for children below twelve years?

43. What bothers you the most about what is happening in the world today? Why?

44. What do you think about beauty titles being taken away because of weight gain in the title holder?

45. If women were to rule the world by 2050, how different would the world be?

46. Which quality of women gives them an edge over men?

47. How would you change the world if you were to play God for a day?

48. Do you think that the youth today faces more pressure than the previous generation?

49. In what role does a man add most to a woman - father, son or a partner?

50. Do you prefer a love marriage or an arranged marriage?

51. Tell me something about yourself.

52. Do you consider yourself to be a giver or a taker? Why?

53. If you could be on the cover of any magazine, which would you choose and why?

54. Would you ever use an internet dating service.

55. Would you ever pose for "tasteful" nude photographs?

56. Should the burning of any religious article be protected by the First Amendment the same way burning the flag is protected?

57. In light of the recent deaths from bullying on the Internet, should a bully be prosecuted by law.

58. How do you feel about legalizing marijuana.

59. Are you for or against the teaching of evolution in school?

(If people answer, I'll add more later)

Debate 5 antwoorden

Click here to write a response...
een jaar geleden omg_stop said…
GO!!!!
een jaar geleden cassie-1-2-3 said…
I think you may have mixed some off stage interview questions with the on stage questions.
een jaar geleden misanthrope86 said…
I know you said no debate, but I just wanted to tell you why I've decided not to play. Feel free to ignore me.

Firstly, beauty pageant contestants might have to answer these questions, that that sure as hell doesn't mean that they are giving their answers... Beauty contestents DO research these questions. They coached in how to answer these questions. They know what kinds of questions they are going to be asked and they train for it. It really isn't anything to do with beauty contestents being smart or not. There will, as with many professions and/or sub-cultures, be varying levels of intelligence. Some contestants will be very smart, some will be average and some will be stupid.

Secondly, presenting things in the right way is what a pageant is about. Image over content. Yet you seem to be trying to argue against that construction... To illustrate, you want us to answer the questions positively, and you don't want us to offend people or swear. But what if my answer is offensive to some people? If I were to answer "Do you think that gay marriages should be legalized everywhere?", my answer would offend some people, just as other people's answers would offend me. Some of the questions themselves are potentially offensive (ie "Which quality of women gives them an edge over men?", "In what role does a man add most to a woman - father, son or a partner?", "Do you prefer a love marriage or an arranged marriage?"). In many, if not all, of the questions, there are inherent biases that will produce opinions that will be controversial, even if you sprinkle them with sunshine and lollipops. The key is stay in the middle ground, thus pleasing everyone, or at the very least, not really pissing anyone off (hence why you have included rules such as no swearing, no offensiveness etc). Contestants who have taken a stance on topics like gay marriage and evolution have hit the headlines and divided opinion because their stance has offended a certain group, and people don't someone representing them who they don't agree with, even if it as trivial as pageant representation.

So the rules of this thing aim to produce the same outcomes as the beauty pageant answers: the appearance intellectual poise. Its about creating an articulate image alongside innocuous opinions. A pretty woman saying something like "I'm motivated by being a role-model to young women!" is harmless and positive and people can process it easily. A pretty woman saying "Yeah, I'd do a nude photoshoot, but it sure as shit wouldn't be tasteful, y'all!" is going to divide people. Do we value the regurgitation of bumper-sticker philosophies? Do praise women for honest, if offensive, answers? If you are in the business of self-promotion, do you not have a responsibility to be honest when answering these questions, regardless of how offensive or negative your responses are?

I get what you were trying to do here, but I just personally think that this all just highlights people's issues with beauty pageants. I don't think that answering these questions proves anything at all about the beauty pageant industry other than it is exactly what is appears to be: misogyny.
een jaar geleden sunkissme said…
Wow! That's a lot of questions. Actually these pageant contestants do practice "Practice Questions" so research was previously done... Not necessarily on stage with their iPhone.
een jaar geleden cassie-1-2-3 said…
Is there anything wrong with studying the question beforehand? Is it any different from studying for a test? You don't know which questions you're going to be be asked, so you study a bunch of information. Are you only truly smart if you pass a test without studying?