Debate RULES!

Cinders posted on Sep 08, 2007 at 06:04PM
Because there has to be some guidelines that people need to follow if we want to keep this clean.

1. RESPECT your fellow debaters. They believe what they do for a reason just like you do. As opposed to simply trying to explain why they're wrong, explain your point of view and LISTEN to theirs.

2. No swearing, or course language, please. Particularly offensive slurs will not be tolerated.

3. If someone says something you are offended by, please try to respond in a calm manner and argue your point civilly.

4. NO REPEAT PICKS OR FORUM TOPICS. Search before you post. I think that should go for all Fanpop Spots.

I'll add more when I think of more. Please try and keep a pleasant, tolerant atmosphere while we discuss such controversial issues in an effort to better understand others.

Debate 17 antwoorden

Click here to write a response...
een jaar geleden DrDevience said…
Ahh man. A debate ain't no fun until someone bleeds ;>
een jaar geleden MajorDork74 said…
It is too bad not many people want to follow the rules. Too many psychos out there........
een jaar geleden marissa said…
yeah, but i agree.
there are some people out there who are just nasty....
een jaar geleden tweakpotter said…
I'm finding the problem, especially on sites like Fanpop, is that most members are in their teens.

I do agree, though, there are just some nasty people out there. We should figure out a way to screen these people out. LOL.
een jaar geleden Cinders said…
5. If you're going to make a pick you feel strongly about, do not make biased choices. For example.

Do you like picking flowers?

NO! I'm not silly and stupid!
YES! I'm a fruity little freak!

Those picks are not cool, and go against the "respect other opinions" rule.
Wow, this is WAY deep... on the last page, how sad!
een jaar geleden kateliness2 said…
There's a new set of Golden Rules though, right?
een jaar geleden katiemariie said…
I think an attempt at proper punctuation, spelling, capitalization, and syntax should the sixth rule. I say this because it is hard enough to get an opinion across using only written words with proper grammar. I think with a better attempt at clarity in speech could facilitate more harmonious communication.
een jaar geleden amazondebs said…
yeah i thought we has a new set too carly?

oops. Oh well. That's what I get for void diving.
een jaar geleden harold said…
Hey, just bumping this with a link to the resulting article: link
een jaar geleden pandawinx said…
there are like, 48 pages of debate picks out there---- we're meant to search through them all?!?!?
een jaar geleden Sappp said…
Use the search bar?
een jaar geleden pandawinx said…
Ah, but that isn't always reliable, with my expirence, you get some questions that are asking the same general thing but the way the question is asked is changed slightly, for example, and the search bars likes you to be quite accurate, as i found.
een jaar geleden bri-marie said…
Sometimes changing even one word can change the meaning of the question.

Usually, if you end up making a repeat pick after you've searched, nobody really makes a big deal. It's the people that go, "Oh, it wasn't on the first page, so it must not have been added" that drive people nuts.
een jaar geleden Sappp said…
Of course the search bar is not 100% accurate but on the other hand it is better than nothing.

And also... people should use common sense. This is the debate club, when someone adds a question like 'Are you against abortion' the chances are high that already has been asked in some form, since it is such a controversial topic.
een jaar geleden weresmyanime said…
sick
wtf is happening here B is for.....