Human Anatomy vragen about synovial joints &ligaments

TheonewhorockS posted on Dec 12, 2019 at 04:20PM
Greetings, Human Anatomy. Don't know if this forum is still active. My question refers to the ligaments. I am creating an accurate-to-life model of a human foot as a sort of art project to further my understanding of anatomy, and the next step after crafting all the bones is to attach them using ligaments (which I intend to make out of stretchy latex). Wanting this recreation to be as physiologically close to reality as possible - no guesswork, no artistic license - I have been looking at a lot of anatomical drawings. I repeatedly hear the joints of the foot being referred to as ‘synovial’, and it is my understanding that a synovial joint must be watertight, meaning the connection between any two bones must be covered entirely by ligament tissue, with no gaps or spaces that would allow the synovial fluid to leak out. However, taking the example of the talocalcaneal ligaments, there are five - dorsal, plantar, medial, lateral and interosseous, and the images I’ve seen indeed show the talus and calcaneus connected to one another solely by several short, rubber band-like ligaments. Surely this arrangement would fail to be watertight, precluding the joint from being synovial? Are the four ligaments actually connected, but simplified for the drawings I’ve seen? Or are the joints covered by a watertight layer of ligament tissue, which the dorsal, plantar, medial etc sit on top of? I am only a layman, which is why I am turning to asking my question to you experts in the hopes that you will be able to help me with my little art project. Any answers are very much appreciated!

Human Anatomy No antwoorden