Pound Puppies (2010) Relevance of the SSPC

Zatchiel posted on Aug 26, 2012 at 10:53AM
"I have a feeling that Rebound is a favorite with the writers."

Addressing this here, for clarification, but anyone can reply:

I just think that they have become too comfortable with Rebound frequently being the center of regard in episodes, and essentially having Cupcake and Patches "thrown in" to contribute a little to the plot, or even for the sake of just including the SSPC; a crude example of the latter being yesterday's episode aside from compelling Roxy to chase the rubber ball (which even still could be substituted with any other dog to an equivalent effect). Other than that, they didn't make or break its plot. They weren't as influential as their cameo in the episode implied.

Cupcake and Patches haven't done anything expounding for their character since their respective debut episodes, and I'm having conflicting emotions about the SSPC and how it is relevant beyond giving opinions and its members "just being pups." I'd really despise believing that the SSPC is just a recurring plot device of sorts, but save for Rebound, its members haven't really gone much of anywhere in terms of development. I am still eager to learn more about Cupcake and Patches. I'm both surprised and gladdened by the fact that yesterday's episode remotely focused on the adoption itself, but the SSPC wasn't a crucial part to its story, (seemingly) as usual.

It's difficult for me to justify my appeal for Patches (or Cupcake) when they don't have much that makes their character clear. It's completely understandable that they're just puppies and all/they're not really expected to have consistency in their character unless it's an extreme (i.e. Rebound's exuberant and talkative nature, Camelia's omni-appealing personalities, etc.), but it's very unfair introduce a conglomerate of three and only actually (continue to) utilize one. That seems really inefficient with regards to how characters are used, and it's what S1 had trouble with.

Furthermore, the premise shouldn't interfere as much as it does with main character development, but I'm not trying to complain; it'd just help the reception this show gets. I think there could be more episodes like "Accidental Pup Star" or "The Fraud Princess", where adoption is either a minor concern or even has no relevance to the episode. As much as I adore the adoption theme, having it jaded and used in excess really hurts this show and its image to those who have only seen one or two episodes. With that in mind, I'd abhor Rebound becoming a "thing" for this show; she could definitely be used less if the trade-off meant clarity for the characters still in question. At this point, I'm not just talking about Cupcake and Patches.

In conclusion, Rebound is slowly but surely becoming a peeve of mine regarding this show. Alternatively, the lack of character development where it's due also irritates me, especially when it'd be so easy to do with characters like Cupcake or Patches. Until they are developed, I see them as recurring minor characters, and I'm shamed to admit that. I can't call them anything more when they haven't been set forth as anything more since their debut. Nevertheless, it has the benefit of my doubt with future episodes, as I definitely hope that they are brought to better understanding. They are still just too obscure to believe otherwise.
 "I have a feeling that Rebound is a favoriete with the writers." Addressing this here, for clarific
last edited on Aug 26, 2012 at 01:49PM

Pound Puppies (2010) 7 antwoorden

Click here to write a response...
een jaar geleden PoundPuppiesfan said…
I agree with what you are saying. I really think that Patches and Cupcake should be developed more and have their own episodes, like Rebound has had.

I too, am getting a little tired of the Rebound centered episodes.

But ultimately, I am not going to be too upset. I am just glad that the show is still going on and that its holding its own. It seems to be doing well for The Hub, and that's good news as far as I'm concerned. The fact that its coming back for another season gives them the chance to (hopefully) give Patches and Cupcake their own episodes and to explore more things.
een jaar geleden Zatchiel said…
All we can do is hope so, but I was just wondering whether or not the SSPC is as relevant as it could, and should be. I know there will be the possibility in future episodes, but i can't hurt to ask.
Well, as far as the SSPC, at least Rebound and Cupcake were already introduced in season 1, so they didn't come out of nowhere. Patches really needs some more development and some episodes to focus on him.

As far as adding the SSPC to the show; well, it can always be a fun idea to have some side characters in addition to the main cast, that can sometimes make a plot feel more lively when side characters show up once in a while. I just don't want them to talk over the show.
Someone mentioned on another site that undeveloped characters give the fanon something to work with; it lets us construct headcanon based on givens. I'm taking all of that which I can into account in my fanfiction.

I really enjoy having the SSPC as side characters, but the only thing that bugs me is that they're virtually one step up in terms of importance from background dogs.

Analogize them to MLP's CMC, for better understanding. It's very clear who the CMC are; both its members and the conglomerate itself. The SSPC has 1/3 of its members set forth in terms of characterization, and with that, it's whole is obscure. If you don't know how the individuals of a group contribute to a mission statement, you don't (fully) understand the group. That said, without any actual development, the SSPC is essentially just a group of three pups, one of whom talks a lot.
By the way, the main reason why I said that Rebound seems to be a favorite with the writers is because so far, she has appeared in 13 episodes of the entire series, (even when she is NOT a major character in the plot).

Another thing to remember about the SSPC is that Rebound is Niblet's sister (from another liter), and Cupcake is Cookie's "daughter", so those two have connections with the main cast. Again, I feel that Patches needs some development and more focus. All we know about him is that he loves the Pound Puppies and wants to be like them, (and that he is familiar with some of their adventures).
Of those 13, how many has Rebound been the main point of focus?

As to the theory of kin you're suggesting: I like that, and I understand completely. Though with Rebound, she seems much more obnoxious than Niblet. Niblet is silly, easily amused, and forgetful.
With Cookie and Cupcake: Cookie is hardened, stern, and reliable (generally). Cupcake is... Well, in her debut episode, she was synonymous to Cookie, but since then, she seems to have become her own character. If it means anything, she worries rather easily.
Patches idolizes the Pound Puppies, that's all I really know. This is also henced by him doing things the "Lucky way" or the "Squirt way" in his debut episode.
"Of those 13, how many has Rebound been the main point of focus?"

From what I have counted, she has been the main focus 6 times.